Priscilla Ahemen Maakuna
Ayobo Housing Scheme Extension, Oshin area of Ayobo-Ipaja in Lagos State, was thrown in a state of confusion between Friday and Sunday, due to some gunmen invasion in the area, where three persons were reportedly Kidnapped and two killed.
Reports reaching us says that some yet-to-be-identified gunmen on Friday allegedly kidnapped two married women before a repeat of the same incident on Sunday in the area.
James Ojuade, the Financial Secretary of the Landlords’ Association in the area , reported on Sunday that the gunmen, who allegedly killed two men while kidnapping two sisters on Friday, also kidnapped another man on Sunday.
He said that the gunmen arrived the area through the boundary between Lagos State and Ogun and escaped with their victims using a boat.
Ojuade said, “About 6.00 p.m. on Friday, four men, who were armed with guns, broke into the residence of one Mr Rashidi Salami, beat his wife mercillessly and took away his two married daughters who came to visit them
“Two neighbours, who intercepted and wanted to prevent them from escaping with the women, were shot dead, before they escaped with their victims.
“The deceased: Messrs Nurudeen Olanrenwaju and Idris Olowolayemo were buried yesterday according to Muslim rites.”
Ojuade confirmed that the same gunmen came again on Sunday at 1.00 p.m. to the building next to where they allegedly kidnapped the two women on Friday and kidnapped one Mr Kehinde, whom he said had just returned from church.
He said, “Immediately Kehinde parked his car, the gunmen jumped into his compound and started shooting bullets into his building. They captured him and escaped again to Ogun through a canoe.”
He pleaded with the government to intervene and provide security assistance in the area to avoid such incidents from repeating itself.
“We want the government to erect police post in Oshin to reduce criminality in the area. We also want the police to help us rescue the three people who had been kidnapped,” he said.
Another resident who identified himself as Kunle told newsmen that, other occupants in the area have abandoned their houses, seeking refuge elsewhere due to insecurity in the area.
Kunle stated that, “The community is now deserted as many residents had packed out of their houses for fear of the unknown. We can no longer sleep and close our eyes as our lives are not safe.”
Kunle said that the parents of the allegedly kidnapped sisters are current receiving treatment in the hospital and recuperating.
As at the time of filling this report, the Police Public Relations Officer, Lagos State Command, SP Benjamin Hundeyin, was yet to give an official statement on the incident.